Skin tags are the small typically round benign growth of skin. It is very common for most adults but is harmless in nature. Some find them repellent and want them removed. Now, there are lots of ways to remove skin tags including freezing, burning, ligature or cutting them off. Here we will discuss how to cut off a skin tag using cuticle scissors. But some other procedures will also be reviewed for your better judgment.
What are Skin Tags and What Causes Them?
Skin tags are a soft small suspended figure that is round in shape. They are usually hung from a thin small stem called a ‘peduncle’ and seen on almost every adult in different stages of life. They are commonly known as acrochordon in medical terms. Other name includes fibroepithelial polyp, cutaneous papilloma, and soft fibroma. These are seen in different body parts such as eyelids, armpits, neck, groin folds and so on. They don’t show any symptoms or causes any harm to your body.
There is very little knowledge of what causes them. But they are often thought to be caused by skin irritation, obesity, pregnancy diabetes etc. They are most commonly seen where the skin folds. They can go unnoticed very easily. The choice of removing them is totally for cosmetic reasons as they have no injurious effect on our body. Even sometimes they fall off on their own!
Is It Safe to Use Cuticle Scissors to Cut Off a Skin Tag?
You can learn how to cut off a skin tag by reading an article or watching some tutorial but it’s never advised to do so on your own if you are not so sure. Cuticle scissors are very sharp scissors with a small tip that can get very close to the stem without cutting the skin around it. It should not hurt more than a pinch. But doing it at home can make it very hard for you to handle any complications that might be caused by the inept performance of the procedure. It is always safe to call your dermatologist and make an appointment for removal of your skin tag.
Best Time for Cutting off Skin Tag
Skin tags are better to be left alone. You can cut them off any time you want. Sometimes when they are grown enough they become black and fall off. But if you do want to cut off a skin tag make sure they have grown enough so you can hold them away from your skin. Smaller skin tags can be taken care of otherwise. If the skin tag is too large don’t attempt to cut it off by yourself and take professional help.
What to consider before cutting off a skin tag with cuticle scissors
There are a few things you should consider before cutting off a skin tag. such as:
- Skin tags are harmless
Skin tags are basically a part of the overgrown skin. It’s just a part of your body. So there is really no need to cut them off and cutting them off at home can be a risky procedure.
- Use a pair of sharp scissors
Sharp scissors will make the procedure less painful. Cuticle scissors is the best thing to use in this case as they are usually made very sharp and small. So, using this will make this process less messy.
- Make sure everything is sterile
To avoid any kind of complication make sure everything you use, the forceps, the scissors is sterile. Try not to make any hand contact with the utensils after sterilizing. This way the process will not have any disastrous aftereffects.
- Consult with a doctor first
If you are sure of going through with this, do consult with a dermatologist first. Only do it at home if you have his/her consent. Follow the instructions given by your doctor and ask for the safety measures.
Before you do this, do keep in mind that there are other processes to remove a skin tag. And you can always go to a doctor to surgically cut them off.
there are other ways a skin tag can be removed. here’s a few:
- Freezing: The skin tag is completely frozen off with liquid nitrogen and the tag will fall off. This may cause some skin discoloration.
- Burning: electric cautery or electro-desiccation can be used to burn off the skin tag. It may also cause skin discoloration.
- Ligature: You can tie a knot around the stem of the skin tag using a thread or dental floss. Make sure they don’t get any blood circulation. After a few day, they will turn black and fall off.
- Home remedies: You can use nail polish to coat the skin tag. This will prevent the skin tag from getting any blood to it. Continue coating a few days and it will automatically turn dark and fall off. You can apply apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil regularly for a few days to remove skin tags.
- Cutting off: Cutting off skin tags using scalpel or cuticle scissors is another process of removing skin tags. The skin tag is pulled away from the skin and nipped with the scissors. The process is described later.
The main way to remove skin tag is to make sure they don’t get any blood circulation. Without blood flow, they will dry out eventually and fall off. The most process is based on this.
How to Cut Off a Skin Tag with Cuticle Scissors
To cut off skin tags you will need a few things. Such as:
- forceps or tweezers
- cuticle scissors
- cotton ball
- band aid etc.
Here are few simple steps to cut off skin tags at home using cuticle scissors:
- First, sterilize the utensils by boiling them in hot water for few minutes. You can also sterilize them by wiping them with rubbing alcohol with cotton balls. Avoid touching the blades after the process.
- wipe the skin tag area with rubbing alcohol to make it completely sterile. To avoid contamination, use sterile gloves.
- Hold the skin tag using forceps or tweezers and pull away from the skin. Make sure you can see the stem and the root of the skin tag clearly.
- Use the cuticle scissors to cut the skin tag at the root where it begins. Make the cut very quick to make it painless. Make sure you don’t cut off any skin.
- Quickly put pressure on it using a cotton ball to stop the bleeding.
- Wipe off extra blood with rubbing alcohol and put a band-aid on it.
This process may hurt a little but it instantly removes skin tags and even any mark on the skin caused by the removal fades away a couple of days later.
Here are a few tips to get yourself through the process of cutting off skin tags:
- Don’t try to cut off skin tags at home
Skin tags should not be removed at home. This can create many complications. If you accidentally snip any blood vessels you might end up with a nasty cut. It’s better to go to a dermatologist and get it removed surgically.
- Find alternative
There are lots of other ways to get your skin tags removed. There are a few ways described earlier. Choose your perfect way to remove them.
- Avoid medical complication
If you are not totally sure that it is a skin tag, don’t try to remove it at home. Consult your doctor to make sure it’s a skin tag and can be removed by cutting off. Make sure you hold the skin tag so far away that you can clearly see where it parts from the skin. Try to cut as close to the skin as possible but don’t cut the skin.
- Use a sharp scissor
Make sure you use very sharp scissors while cutting off skin tags. This will help you male quick snips and make it less painful.
- Use sterile equipment
Make sure the equipment are sterile to avoid any contamination. Also, sterilize the area of the skin tag area with rubbing alcohol.
Q: Do skin tags grow back after cutting?
A: No, they don’t grow back or grow more after cutting.
Q: Do skin tag cause cancer?
A: No, they don’t cause cancer. These are harmless tumors.
Q: Are skin tags contagious?
A: No, they are not.
Q: Is there any cream to remove skin tags?
A: No, there is not.
Q: Can normal scissors be used for skin tag removal?
A: It’s better to use cuticle scissors or a scalpel for a more precise cut.
Q: Can skin tags be prevented?
A: No, there is no way to prevent them.
Q: Will it hurt to cut off a skin tag?
A: Not more than a pinch.
A skin tag is not something you should worry about. They don’t have any adverse effects on your health. Smaller ones can be taken care of at home effortlessly. However, the big ones should be should need medical care for removal. In this case, just knowing how to cut off skin tags just won’t be enough. Skin tags, however small, is always advised to get clinically removed. It will be much less painful and the risk of getting any complications will be largely reduced too!