Statiscs says there is a fatal no of injuries and death over using the chainsaw. So ensuring the chainsaw safety is the most prior things even before you hold the chainsaw. Though modern chainsaw has a lot of features to ensure the proper safety, without your full concern, anything can happen within seconds.
Chainsaw is treated as one of the most dangerous tools that you need no training before using. As the need of using this tool is increasing, safety concern is also increasing parallelly.
There are many gears that may help you to ensure the safety. But your awareness and concern are the main that can save you. Here some of the important Chainsaw safety tips are given that must be followed every time.
Chain Saw Safety Tips
By following some simple but very important rules, you can ensure the proper safety of yourself while using a chainsaw. So, let’s check the important Chainsaw safety tips.
Before Starting a Chain Saw
It is said that the preparation before starting the chainsaw is the most important safety steps of the whole process. You must need to check all the parts of the chainsaw as well as the safety stuff of yourself and other workers.
- Read the manual carefully given by the manufacturer with the product especially on first use. You must be well aware how to use it and function of every part. A wrong decision may occur in a serious injury.
- Check out every safety gear. You must wear chainsaw chaps, gloves, work boot, Hearing Protection, eye protection, Goggles, Hardhat Ensure that all are in proper condition to give you safety.
- Always have a first aid kit box with you while working. Accidents can happen at any time. The first aid box will be the life-saving
- Inspect that chainsaw itself is in good condition. Check the chain, button, cover, control, bolts etc. If you find any fault, immediately repair or change it.
- Whatever you are standing, make sure that you are properly balanced and the surface is not slippery. Also, clean and make even the area.
- Choosing the right chainsaw is also important. Check the catalog given by the manufacturers to see whether your saw is compatible with that kind of saw.
- Always keep the chain tighten and sharp, it will help you to cut smoothly without causing any hamper that may injure Use lubrication regularly.
- Always turned on the saw keeping on the ground or on another firm support. Never do Drop starting.
Fueling a Chain Saw
Fueling is a common matter to almost all kind of chainsaw except whose are power by battery or electricity. But without the safety steps, it may turn into a big disaster. So, take these safety steps while refueling your chainsaw.
- Every time refueling the chainsaw, wait some moment to let the chainsaw to be cooled down.
- Use the perfect and approved container to store and carry the fuel. Remove nails, wood, wire etc. from the tank.
- Ensure that there is no smoking while refueling. Do this job at least 10 feet away from the workplace.
- Always use a fuel funnel to pour the tank, otherwise, fuel may fall on the surface and from the spark, it will create fire.
- Never refuel the chainsaw while it is running and hot. It will create a disaster.
- If you have a Gasoline-powered chainsaw, then you must equip the chainsaw with a protective device that will minimize chainsaw
Using a Chain Saw
While using the chainsaw you must be aware and concentrated all the time. At the same time, you must check out that everything is going fine. Here are some safety tips while using the chainsaw.
- Never hold your chainsaw with just one hand. Whether it is easy or difficult, always hold the chainsaw by two hands carefully. Make a firm grip on the handling.
- Never climb a tree with a chainsaw. It may be fallen any time. So, take help of another person in these cases. Or you can use a scabbard to transfer the chainsaw.
- Never Cut woods with just the nose or the tip portion of the chainsaw chain. It will damage the chain and it may be broken anytime.
- Never use a chainsaw standing on a ladder or any other mobile surface. Chainsaw normally create a strong back force and it will be hard for you to control the chainsaw in these kinds of surface.
- Always keep the chainsaw switched off when you are not using it and walking.
- Never use a chainsaw to cut anything above your head. Just for an unbalancing, it will fall directly to your body.
- Be aware that the blade of the chainsaw will not pass through the kickback zone. Make sure that while cutting a tree, it will fall on the desired direction.
- Always have a careful look on the branches whose are under tension, they may spring out while cutting.
While Cutting Trees
You can also use the chainsaw for cutting trees into pieces. But this also need extra care as many of the workers had an injury while doing this.
- Prop up the tree above the ground and make sure the chainsaw will not touch the ground or rocks and other debris.
- Make sure your feet are in a safe distance from the chainsaw, most of the injuries due to a chainsaw is leg injuries.
- Don’t stand on the tree or never keep your leg on the tree to apply an extra force. It will lead you to a serious injury.
- Your first cut should be straight down to the halfway point.
- Never bend the chainsaw over the saw.
- If the chainsaw becomes very hot, stop working, switched off the chainsaw and wait for a while. Don’t use it again before it is totally cooled down.
- In this regard, protection of your eye and face is very important as small pieces of wood can come off to your face anytime at a good speed.
- Keep your finger close to the chain brake, as in an emergency situation you can activate this as early as possible. This could be life-saving.
Every year a big number of workers got injured and some of them died in chainsaw accidents. But by taking only a few steps and care, you can protect yourself from being injured. Learning the chainsaw safety tips are mandatory for everyone.
You always should follow the safety tips given in this article. But the most important things that will save you is your concentration, awareness and taking the right decision at the right time.