A small garage can be a big problem sometimes. There are tons of different ways that will help you overcome this problem. Overhead garage storage systems are one of the easiest solutions. Not just with small garages, they look classy in any types of garages. While these overhead systems are amazing, they still can be very tricky at times.
What Are Overhead Garage Storage Systems?
The answer is they can be anything. A shelf, cabinets or even a single suspended rack can be an overhead storage system. It always depends on how much space you want to use above your head. They are great ways to store your clutter out of sight and save them from water damage.
Overhead storage systems are very convenient and versatile. You can be very creative with them. But if you are new to this, you might consider a few things to make sure you use them properly.
Best overhead Garage Storage
1. FLEXIMOUNTS 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
FLEXIMOUNTS garage storage system is an ideal overhead garage storage rack built for safety and proper garage storage space management.
First of all, FLEXIMOUNTS comes with different sizes 3’x8′, 4’x6′, 3’x6′. So make sure that what size you exactly need. The size we are featuring here has 22” to 40” ceiling dropdown and you will get a huge space to store overhead is 105 cu. Ft. provides easy and convenient space to organize your seasonal and rarely used stuff.
It is available both in black and white color, pick one which fits your garage best. I myself like to use black but you are minimalist lover then go for the white.
The load capacity is around 600 lb and the load distributed with six vertical posts. There are six long celling brackets designed to attach in celling with two studs. The overall structure is sturdy and perfectly load distributed ensures safety and longevity.
Moreover, the screws and hardware used are top quality, passed through strict load tests to ensure more safety and reliability.
Along with the ceiling brackets and vertical posts you will get the wire grid which is stable and sturdy compared to the other similar products due to the integrated grid design.
The whole structure made of cold rolled steel, you know cold roll is an advanced metal processing type in the mill which ensures better surface finish and higher tolerance.
The system is easy to install and adaptable with both wood and concrete joists but does not fit with metal joists, so before purchase make sure that where it is going to be installed.
Safety, quality, and versatility is the key feature of FLEXIMOUNTS rack so it’s the best choice for your overhead garage storage we think.
2. HyLoft 00540 45-Inch-by-45-Inch Overhead Storage System
HyLoft 00540 is a 45 inch by 45-inch overhead garage storage system is a nice pick for your garage, attic, or basement.
The load capacity is 250 lb which is evenly distributed into four vertical legs. At this size, such load capacity is optimal to optimize your garage space. If you need more space then you have to install multiple units, you need to.
The legs are perforated with multiple holes along the vertical down rods so that the system has an adjustable height facility, it can be adjusted at 17 inches to 28 inches.
It’s easy to install, adaptable with almost all kinds of joists like wood, concrete and metal. You just have to drill four holes.
All construction is made with steel and powder coated so that the system is scratch resistant.
The storage system vertical posts or legs directly attach with the ceiling with the studs does not have any extra metal pieces or brackets to stud it with the ceiling. Some users claiming the company is cutting cost by reducing extra metal pieces. The manufacturer thinks for 250lb load this structure provides enough strength.
3. SafeRacks Factory Second – 4×8 Overhead Storage
The overhead garage storage by SafeRacks is heavy duty storage system with 600lb load capacity and it comes with a lifetime warranty. The load distributed into four vertically down legs and there are four ceiling brackets with the legs, Unlike the HyLoft storage system.
It also has an adjustable height feature like HyLoft storage system, adjustable between 24inch to 45inch from the ceiling so you will be able to store heavy bulky big shelves or tools.
The built material is quality industrial grade steel and also powder coated ensures super surface finish and scratch resistance.
The company recommends never to load more than 600 pounds through the this SafeRacks garage storage system breaks at 1500 lbs. But for safety, it’s better not to hold more than 600lb to avoid unwanted damage of your personal life, property, and home.
So it’s a reliable product with awesome user reviews, and you can go for it.
4. Quick – Shelf Hangers Overhead Ceiling Mount Storage Unit
Quick shaft hangers are the simple and inexpensive overhead garage storage solution. Its inexpensive due there is no wire grid, there is board instead which usually made of plywood.
This rack is super easy to install, you will have only 3 things in the package are four hangers, eight lag eye screws and eight hanger clips. Just drill and mount the lag eye screws, hand on the hanger, mount the board with the hanger using mounting screws and you are done.
The hanger height 16 inches from the ceiling, so you will get enough and convenient space to organize your kinds of stuff.
The load capacity is very high as the manufacturers claim, it’s about 1400 lb. To keep yourself at safe side don’t use more than 1000lb.
So, people spend thousands to get an overhead rack but they hold no more than this inexpensive one does. So in terms of strength and functionality its great and if the appearance is not a big deal to you then you can go for this product.
5. HyLoft 80842-10 Ceiling Storage Kit
This is another masterpiece of HyLoft a hanger type garage storage system which is ideal for tire storage but also possible to store anything you like. The storage capacity is 400lb.
The coolest thing of this storage overhead rack is it is adjustable in both ends vertically and also horizontally. The width is adjustable between 34 inches to 54 inches.
Like the other overhead racks, it’s also structurally strong, durable, built with steel and powder coated so have a super surface finish.
This rack is a durable, foldable, easy to install and flexible to use. So in our pick, this is one of the best.
6. HyLoft 01031 Folding Storage Loft, Sliver
This is a wall mount overhead garage storage system ideal for storing different type of tires and wheels and also possible to store other kinds of stuff. Due to the wall mount, you may get some extra flexibility too.
This rack also as strong and sturdy like others, metal built with silver powder coat finish.
Also adjustable at 32 to 48 inch which allows you more flexibility if you need more space. The storage system also foldable against the wall, so you will be able to fold it when not to use.
Its load capacity is 300lb which is perfectly engineered and tested. The entire load distributed to the vertical perforated steel tube used to mount with the wall with studs.
one thing I don’t like is when the tire diameter is more than the rack width it touches the wall.
This is also one of the most inexpensive overhead storage rack with good quality and strength. So you can also go for this rack.
7. MonsterRax – 4×8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
MonsterRax overhead garage storage is a very solid rack built with quality material and hardware. The design and construction everything like the SafeRack rack, only the color is different. MonsterRax comes with black and the real-time users reviewed it as the best.
The load capacity also alike 600 lb, has adjustable height, has the industrial strength and powder coated material.
Things Need to Learn Before Buy
Here are a few tips to help you with your overhead garage storage system.
1. Know What You Are Going to Put on Them
Before choosing an overhead system, think what you want you to put on it. This decision is vital to choosing the right storage system. Depending on how much of your garage things you want to put on it and what kind of things they are and how much they weigh the storage system will be different.
- if you want a place for your heavy machinery like lawn mowers or leaf blowers and such, you can try suspended racks or just shelves.
- If you want to keep chemicals and paints, overhead cabinets are the best choice. They give you the freedom to lock your chemicals in so they are kid friendly and also the used or unused paint cans are better off inside than out in the open. Cabinets are also good for storing small things like nails and washers, but be sure to put them separately in different containers.
- If you want to store away old clothes we suggest you get some bins with lids and put them on overhead shelves.
- For tires, it is better to install racks. Just don’t forget to secure them in place.
- For bikes, there are brackets and bars to store multiple bikes at a time and some excellent pulley systems to hoist your bike effortlessly.
By deciding what kind of things you want to store, you will automatically decide what kind of storage system you need.
Choosing the Best
It’s not enough to just choose what you want; you have to think about the interior of your garage. Not everything will fit or look good in your garage. You have to keep in mind how much space you are willing to use for the storage system.
- If you have a long garage it is better to install cabinets on the less wide wall.
- For a square-shaped garage, you can choose anything. Shelves, cabinets everything will look good. But if the garage is small on don’t install anything on the walls; use suspended frames.
- For heavier things like machines and tires or bikes, it is always advised to check the material and make sure they are heavy duty
- To ensure durability and flexibility is another important task. Powder coated paint finish improving the durability of the racks or shelves. Make sure your storage system’s height can be adjusted, it will give you the flexibility you need.
Keep It Clean and Simple
Overhead storage systems are meant to keep your mess off the floor. Using the ceiling space can offer you a whole new range of opportunities. But it can get messy real fast if not designed carefully. And this is it, all those clutter out of sight but you will be back to square one with them being stuffed over the head.
- Store similar things together. This way you will have a lot less chance of losing things and finding anything will be much easier. Especially, when it comes to small objects it is often very hard to keep track of them, storing them in small boxes or jars and all on a shelf to so will help you a lot.
- Label everything. This is the key to basic compartmentalization. If you are boxing everything in different cardboard boxes, make sure you name the boxes. Whether you are using bins for big stuff or small jars for the small ones, labeling will keep you organized no matter how much things you have.
- Don’t hoard things. This is a serious issue in many garages causing them to appear much clumsier than usual. Throw away anything that you don’t use or used recently.
- Using cabinets with doors are great ways to appear your garage neat and clean. If you are as clumsy as us we suggest you get the cabinets. Otherwise, organize your things out in the open and keep a place fixed for each of them and try returning things at its respective places after each use.
Store in the Right Way
Before you throw them over the rack or shelves make sure you are storing your things appropriately. Without proper precautions, you might ruin them. Make sure you follow every instruction while storing them or if they are supposed to be stored that way.
- Before storing any electrical machines, like a lawn mower or a leaf blower, needs special attention like maybe oiling or some special precautions before storing them.
- To store away the clothes make sure you have stored them with proper insect protecting measures. Some clothes tend to get moldy, it generally happens when the place is damp. Also, unwashed clothes are more prone to molds.
- You can also store them in plastic bags to prevent dampness and make them airtight.
- Another option is to use zip locked canvas bags. They are very useful in storing seasonal decorations like wreaths and artificial trees
- Using mason jars to store excess paints is a life saver. Store paint and label the jars for times when you only need to patch up a scratched wall.
What to Do and What Not to Do
The overhead storage system is actually a very good way to use your space. But there are a few things that are just tips to make you experience a bit breezy but using them are absolutely up to you.
- Don’t use cardboard; they are flimsy and not immune to moisture and pests. Use plastic bins if possible; they are heavy duty and sturdier than cardboard.
- Install a pull-down ladder. This will give you better access to the overhead storage system.
- Use pulley system storage racks or slings. This helps you lift up heavy stuffs with ease.
- To maximize the use of your space tries using racks with mixed heights. Like for instance, use higher shelves for space over the doors and lower racks in the rest of the garage.
And last but not least: Get help!
Most overhead storage systems have DIY installation. Which means you have to install or arrange it yourself. This can be tricky as it has to be mounted on top of your head. There are rules and ratios as to how you should hang the slings or racks. There are usually instructions provided with the package.
- If you are thinking of installing it yourself, we recommend you take help from a friend. These are very heavy works; tired hands might make a mess out of it. It would be best if you find a friend who has done it before.
- But if you want you can also take help from a professional. It will be much safer and easier. Sometimes the manufacturing company provides help. If not, there are other agencies that help with this kind of situations.
Lastly, try different overhead storage systems to complement each other. Only one type of storage system will make the garage look bland. Try to add some colors while you are at it. Use your imagination and go crazy!
What type of tools required to install the overhead garage storage system?
Ans: Most of the storage system comes with all the hardware required so what you have to do? Just find out the joists find, mark, drill, and screw. So you need a cordless drill, hammer drill bit, an impact wrench and a stud finder to find the studs etc.
In the end, an overhead garage storage system will make you a classy and clean garage. It is the best way to store away heavy machinery or bikes or anything that is an eyesore on the floor. But making the best of the system will require a few extra steps. Here, we tried our best to get you all the help you need. If you follow these simple tips, you will have an overhead garage storage system like no other!