The drain snake is used in unclogging drain pipes. There are difficult clogs which can’t be removed by the plunger but the drain snake does this job nicely. It comes in different sizes, types, and brands.
There are those which are hand-cranked and also those that are power cranked. To break it down and make it clear, we will give a review of the best drain snake in the market. These will eliminate any fear you might have when you want to purchase a drain shake.
Best Drain Snake Reviews
1. Ryobi-P4001 Review
Its weight is about 6 pounds. It has a powered forward and reverses feeding mechanism that prevents fatigue on use. This is a great tool for any homeowner, handyman to keep at home. It cost around $100. The Ryobi drain auger comes without a battery or a charger included.
- It has an auto-feed lock that engages the bearings without having to squeeze the pommel to prevent user fatigue.
- The powered forward and reverse feeding mechanisms prevent user fatigue.
- Its cable clamps are very useful in holding the cable in place while tackling tough clogs.
- It has the GRIPZONE overmold for optimum grip and user comfort.
- The 25foot reinforced cable can minimize kinking.
- The onboard rear drain port prevents water build up in the drum.
- It can be used to clear clogs with ease from drains up to 2 inches wide.
- You will have to buy a battery and a charger separately.
- No battery or charger included which makes it more stressful to obtain.
2. General Pipe-Cleaners R-25SM Review
Features & Benefits
- It has a convenient a0t’ Grip handle and drives knob for easy turning.
- It has full-sized thumb screw chuck to control the cable.
- It comes with a complete 25 feet by 1/4 inch General Pipe Cleaners cable designed for 1-1/4’’ to 2″ lines.
- It can be used for drains with about 2-inch wideness.
- It is hand driven
- It can easily cause user fatigue.
3. RIDGID 41408 Review
- It has a max score cable and a bulb auger to break up stoppages in the line.
- It has is a drum auger.
- It hand auger can be used by pulling the trigger and turning the handle.
- It weighs about 3.8 pounds.
- The drill can operate up to 500 RPM
- Trigger lock ensures a non-stop performance.
- It is not suitable for use in the toilet.
4. RIDGID 35473 K-45AF Sink Machine Review – Best for Professional Use
- Variable speed power unit reaches 600 RPMs.
- The drums are rust-free
- It is lightweight
- It also comes with RIGID drain cleaning gloves.
- It is very handy in cleaning small line drains and open clogged lavatory.
- It is lightweight and easy to handle
- It is not recommended for use in big drain lines.
5. RIDGID 71722 K-40AF Sink Machine Review – Best Drain Cleaning Machine
- It has a K 40AF Sink Machin
- It also comes with a 4-foot guide hose.
- Its inner core of 5/16 inch x 35-foot cable also has an inner drum.
- It also comes with RIGID drain cleaning gloves.
- Two-way AUTOFEED advances and retrieves cable.
- It has about 35.5 pounds weight.
- It Is lightweight.
- It is very suitable for clearing sink laundry lines
- It is not recommended for use in large drain lines.
6. RIDGID-7172 K-AOAF Sink Machine Review – New Arrival but promising
- It has a weight of 35.5 pounds.
- It has a 35-foot of 5/16 inch cable
- The large drum can hold up to 50 feet of cable.
- It has a weight of 35.5 pounds.
- It has a 35-foot of 5/16 inch cable.
- The large drum can hold up to 50 feet of cable
- It is not suitable for use in large line cleaning.
7. DEWALT DCDZOOD1 Review
- It has a variable speed trigger
- It has a black oxide drain cable with bulb head
- Its handle is ergonomic and provides a comfortable grip
- Its pivoting LED light has 3 brightness modes
- It is cordless and has a brushless motor
- It comes with a DCB113 charger and DCBZDS 2.0 Ah Battery.
- It has a brushless drill
- It is less expensive when compared to other snake drains in the market
- It also has a LED light for use in situations of darkness
- It is not that compact when compared to other drain snakes of its kind in the market.
- It is more expensive when compared with other drain makes of similar features.
How to Find the Best Drain Snake
Buying a drain snake of your own can save you a lot of costs. Without hiring a plumber, you can quickly remove the clogs with the help or the drain snake. Buying a drain snake might not be very expensive but buying a poor quality drain snake can cost extra expenses. This is why we have done thorough and extensive research on buying a drain snake. It can be purchased in the hardware stores or any local home improvement store.
The kind of stoppage would also determine the snake drain to buy. Generally, when buying a drain snake, ask for specifications and mechanisms for using that particular machine. Some drain snakes will work in similar ways but it is required to know the workings of your particular brand. Also, be careful to see what each part can be used for.
We would, first of all, enumerate the types according to their uses.
This snake drain is designed to be used specifically for the toilet. This is why it can be immersed in the toilet and can be used in clearing it without causing a scratch on the porcelain. It is a great tool that can be used in place of the plungers. Every home should have this tool. It is not expensive and considering the cost required in employing a professional, it will be less expensive if it is purchased and used.
Tips to look out for on toilet auger-They are very cheap but do not let its cheapness be taken for granted. It does a great work too. When you want to make a purchase, it is advisable not to go for the cheapest one available. Spend extra to get ones with better quality because they will make a difference. The cheapest augers can cost between $10 and $30. Others can cost above $30 and may rise up to $60. The professional ones cost around $40 and above.
Ease of use: It is small and can be used only in small line drains
Effectiveness: It is very effective while used in clearing out clogs from the toilet. It cleans the drain without tearing the porcelain. Though it might not be fast due to its manual use.
Price: It is cheap too. The cheapest going with a cost of about $10. and Snakes These small hand snakes are used to do works that involve clearing small
Small Hand Snake
These hand snakes are used to do works that involve clearing small household drains and common stoppages. Their uses range from clearing stoppages in the bathtub to clearing local kitchen stoppages. They are also used for jobs which include clearing the stoppages of the washing machine, clearing the sink stoppages, etc. It is a machine known for its versatility in use. This is also a must-have for every homeowner. It also costs less than employing a professional.
Tips to look for when making a purchase-The cable for a small hand snake should be long enough. Its length should be between 15 to 25 inches. It is also important to spend extra to get a decent one. The small hand snakes with a power drill are the best but the hand crank snake is also suitable.
Ease of use: It is also easy to use due to its compactness.
Effectiveness: It gives the best result with its long cable.
Price: Considering its high performance it is cheap.
Medium Drain Machines
This machine is powerful but it might not be very affordable. It is very costly, about 5 times the cost of the small hand snake. The length of the cables will be between 50 to 100 inches long. This is meant for the very tough stoppages in the kitchen or washing machine lines. It also has great features like self-feeding, multiple drain heads, wheels and a handle for transportation. It might be better cost wise to employ a professional than paying for this machine.
Tips to look out for when making a purchase- This machine can be pricey and its cost can rise from $250 to about 500. The best medium drain machines have long cables that would make it easier to pass through any stoppage. It should also have multiple cutting heads and a closed drum. The instructions from the manufactures should be read carefully. Some manufacturers may not recommend the medium drain machine for stoppages larger than 2 inches or bigger pipes.
Ease of use: It Is easy to use if you know its specifications, parts and how they can be operated.
Effectiveness: It can handle the cleaning of drains that are about 2 inches. It might not be effective for drains that are larger than 2 inches.
Price: It is very expensive but yet still affordable.
Main Line Drain Snake
This drain machine is designed and built for big pipes and large drain lines. It can be used for the 3 or 4 inches drain lines. These drain lines are the types that can connect the house to the sewer or septic tanks. Again employing a professional to do the work should be cheaper than acquiring the machine.
Tips to out for when making a purchase – It is only necessary to have this machine when you own a large rental property that would always require it. Apart from that, it is cost effective to hire a professional.
Ease of use: it is designed to be easy to use. Its handle makes it easy to transport around.
Effectiveness: It can clean tough clogs in drains of 3 or 4 inches wide.
Price: This costs much. If you don’t think it’s affordable at $1500 then it is better to call a plumber.
Let’s learn how to use a drain snake.
4 Important Factors to Be Considered
Because of a lot of varieties in the market customers become overwhelmed to select the best one that suits their need. And another problem is that the shopkeeper represents every product the best one. And if you ask them to show the best one the highest possibility is that they will show you the pricey one.
You know what, in a deep sense each product of the market is the best product but for different customers. So, which drain snake will be best for you, you have to take the decision on that matter.
After thorough and extensive research, we have selected some important factors that should be considered while buying a drain snake.
1. Cable Length
The length of the cable should be long enough to reach the potential clogs. You should determine the cable length depending on your living place.
For example, if you are living in a single storied building a drain snake with 25ft cable may be enough to meet your need but if your bathroom is on the second floor then 25ft cable is not enough, you should choose cable of minimum 50ft length.
2. Head Type
Head type of drain snakes can be categorized in many ways. Common types are described below-
- Screw or coil head: If your drain snake has a screw head you can pull the blockage out using it. If paper towels or similar products have made the blockage a drain snake with a screw head will come to the best use for you.
- Cutting head: If your drain snake has a cutting head, it will help you to remove the blockage by cutting the blockage away. This type of drain snake is preferred most by professional plumbers.
- Fixed Head: Some drain snakes come with a single fixed head that cannot be changed.
- Interchangeable Head: Some models are available with an interchangeable head that can be changed easily and no special tools are required for changing the head.
The diameter of the drain snake should be smaller than the diameter of the pipe that is blocked. It is recommended by the experts to purchase a drain snake that is ½ to 1” smaller in diameter than the diameter of the pipe. If you are not sure about the diameter of the pipe, opt for the smaller size.
4. Auger Mechanism
Auger mechanism helps to turn the cable as it passes through the drain. So, while purchasing a drain snake check whether the auger mechanism is included with it or not.
If the auger mechanism is not included with the snake it will cause you to spend a lot of time trying to clear the clog.
Q. How could I know when to clean my drain?
If you notice slow draining, an overflowing toilet, water backing up and bad odor, it is time to make use of your drain snake i.e. it is time to clean the drain.
Q. Can drain snake damage my plumbing pipe?
If the size of the drain snake is not coherent with the size of your drain and during cleaning, if you push it hard it may cause damage to your plumbing pipe.
Q. How to unclog the stubborn clogs of my bathtub?
Ans: The best solution to unclog the stubborn clogs of your bathtub is to use a drain snake.
Q. Is it safe to use a chemical cleaner?
Ans: Chemical cleaner generates fume and pollutes the air. So, it is not safe to use a chemical cleaner. But, if you use a drain snake for cleaning the clogged plumber it will not cause anything that is harmful to the environment and health.
Q. How to verify the quality of a drain snake while purchasing?
The best way to verify the quality is the check the customer’s review. Those who have already bought and used the product if they recommend the product as a good one, you can be sure that it is a good quality product.
The drain is the go-to-tool for any drain cleaning or clogs cleaning task. It has various brands and sizes. These brands and sizes also come with different specifications. This makes it difficult to discover the best that will fit the kind of task at hand. The drain snake can be power cranked or hand cranked. The power cranked drains are mostly preferred due to its ease of use while the hand-cranked is powerful and can also be used but it would cause more fatigue than a power cranked drain snake. The Ryobi and DeWalt are the top brands in the list that make cordless snake drains. They are easier to handle than others, though it might require spending extra.
The DEWALT DCD200D1 20V MAX XR Brushless Drain Snake Kit is the best option to go with on the list if you do not care about the cost. It is a next-generation drain snake that has a cutting-edge technology like the brushless drill and 3 modes LED lights. The Dewalt 20v brushless drain snake kit has the complete kit to go with. It is the recommended option for any handyman or homeowner. But if you think you can’t fork out about $300 or more. The Ryobi P4001 One+ 18V Lithium-Ion All-In-One 25 Foot Drain Auger for Sinks or Toilets, is the option to go with, though you would also spend more money to buy the charger and the battery separately.
To deal with the toilet, the kitchen sink, the bathtub sink, slop sink etc. The drain snake would be the go-to tool. Though there are lots of brands, sizes, and specifications available in the market, they can all be used for the same use but with different effects and results. That is why we recommend that you first examine the kind of stoppage before getting any of these drain snakes. If it is a small drain line, then the toilet augers will serve well since they can unclog the toilets or any type of pipes effectively. They enhance sanitation when they are used to remove stubborn clogs.
We have talked in details about how to use a drain snake both power cranked and hand cranked. Take a look.
Their other advantage is their affordability. Instead of calling a plumber, this tool will help you out. While the toilet augers will do for the small drain lines, it will not be recommended for large pipes or big drain lines like the pipes that connect the house to the sewer.
Another specification to look out for when purchasing any drain snake is the mode of the crank. The best drain snake is always power cranked. Other ones that are hand-cranked can also be beneficial because they have a lower price. But they do offer the same efficiency of the power cranked drain snake and are generally shorter for use in small pipes. The power cranked drain snake is easier to use and can handle any size or pipe. But the power cranked drain snake comes with a higher cost and you may be required to buy a charger and battery sometimes.
Overall, always buy a drain snake that is built to fit into the size of the drain that is to be clogged. As it seems, a snake drain that is too big won‘t do the job properly and can even damage the drain pipes but a small snake would move freely inside the pipe without causing harm.