Bolt cutter – alternatively known as the copper cutter is used for cutting bolts, chains, padlocks, wire shelving and many more things. Most bolt cutters have hardened steel adjustable jaws. A bolt cutter mainly used for cutting bolt steels from shipping containers at the delivery point. It has short blades and long handles with compound hinges that allow maximizing cutting force and leverage. The blades can vary according to its type of work. Center cut, shear cut, end cut and many more are most common.
Best Bolt Cutters Review
1. TEKTON 8 Inch Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter
TEKTON is one of the famous tool making company in Michigan. Their tools are made under experts advice and inexpensive also.
TEKTON 8 inch mini bolt and wire cutter have 8 inches length. And the blade is one-fourth of its length. It has shear cut blades for cutting wires, chains with a smaller diameter. It is available in scissor shape also. Handles are made up with rubber grips and have forged and hardened steel jaws with holes in it. It is a heavy duty wire cutter. You can use it to cut chain link fence wire, barbed wire, horse wire and many more purpose.
- It is inexpensive.
- Smaller in size so that you can carry it easily and it is easy to handle while cutting. Needs less effort to cut materials due to its smaller size.
- This type of bolt cutters can cut wires, chains of usually 3/16 inches.
- It has rubber grips in its handles that made it comfortable to use.
- As it is smaller in size, both its handles and blades are small so that it cannot cut materials of greater diameter. For example, It is not strong enough to cut steel nails. For its mini-sized handles, it cannot reach to the portion which is out of range for you.
2. Olympia Tools 39-114 Power Grip Bolt Cutters
The word power grip is when the fingers clamp down on an object and the thumb is creating the counter pressure. The Olympia 39-114 power grip bolt cutters have a length of 14 inches. The main feature of this type of bolt cutter is its folding handles. The handles are extra wide and comfortable to use. It has Cro-Moly steel cutting heads and jaws are well made and open wide. It is normally yellow paint with red latches.
It can cut master locks padlocks to the heaviest garage wires.
- The best advantage of this type of bolt cutters is its handles can fold up to 2/3 its original length to save on storage space. So, it can easily fit into a bag and you can carry it everywhere you need.
- It has heavy duty cutting strength and greater working tolerance for its structure.
- Its extra wide handles reduce pressure on hands so that you can cut materials with less effort. It also has grips on the handle that make it comfortable for your hands.
- It is a 14-inch cutter. Its greater size increases its weight.
- The folding handles are sometimes hard to fold or unfold, handle latches cannot engage sometimes and the layers can loose during its folding and unfolding process.
- Sometimes its cutting teeth are made up of lower quality materials so that it gets damage fast.
3. Neiko 00563a Heavy Duty Bolt Cutter
It is a 36 inch bolt cutter used for cutting bolts, chains, padlocks and many more materials.
chrome molybdenum steel is used to make the blades and strongest enough to cut harder objects. The handles are black in color and grips are a little bit angled at the end to maximize the leverage. It is designed in a way that if you create pressure at the handles it will be almost 80 times greater between the jaws.
- Price is good for its size.
- The blades are very sharp and strong. So that it is suitable to cut hard materials such as master lock, padlocks, bike chains etc.
- It is heavy duty cutter so you can get more force putting less effort in the handles that make it suitable for the toughest application.
- Longer handles provide the capability to reach in areas out of reach.
- Handle grips are comfortable for hands.
- Heavy in weight because of its size.
4. WORKPRO W0170041 Bolt Cutters
Its a 14 inch bolt cutter with Bi-material handle. It has a chrome molybdenum steel blade and black cylindrical handles with soft rubber grips.
- Excellent size and weight.
- Can cut bolts, rods, padlocks up to 3/16 inch wide.
- Cylindrical handles are comfortable to use and at the end of the handles, it has non slip rubber grips that make it comfortable for use.
- Jaws are made up with Chrome molybdenum steel. So it requires less effort to cut materials.
- Not suitable for cutting heavy materials.
5. Fiskars Power Gear Bolt Cutter
It is a 14 inch bolt cutter. It is the new generation bolt cutter having updated features. Power gear technology increases the power by about 30%. It has sharp blades and good control over the material. Handles are efficient with soft grips. Adjustable bolts maintain the cutting performance over time.
- Blades are forged and heat treated that stay sharp even through heavy materials are cut by it.
- Handles are comfortable with soft grip and long enough for saving on muscles effort.
- Its power gear technology boasts up leverage that enhances gear and increases its power up to 30% while cutting hardened materials and the force become the maximum while cutting the toughest part of the material.
- Lifetime warranted.
- Use for cutting heavy materials such as paddle lock, chains, metal rod, threaded rod etc.
- It is expensive.
- A little bit heavy to use.
6. HK porter 0190 MCD Power Link Bolt Cutter
Since 1880, HK porter is the most reputed brand in worldwide because of its product quality and strength.
Its a 24 inch bolt cutter. Capable of cutting hard and larger dimension materials up to 5/16 inches. Its power link geometry helps this bolt cutter to suit in the toughest condition. Handles are red in color and can open fully perpendicular. It is used for cutting bolts, rods, chains, chain link fences, screws etc.
- It has good quality and is well built.
- It is a powerful cutting tool. It needs less cutting effort because of its power link geometry. So that it is suitable for cutting hard materials.
- It has high performance handles with extra strength. That makes it suitable for you to cut things in ease.
- Suitable for repair operations in construction sites, oil and gas operations and maintenance purpose.
- Not best for cutting wire fence.
- It is heavy
7. GreatNeck BC30 Bolt Cutters
Since 1919, GreatNeck is a manufacturing company for hand tool products in Newyork, United States of America. It is popular for its value in design.
Its a 30 inch bolt cutter with efficient and comfortable grips handles. Forged S2 steel construction for cutting power hardened cutting edges and Lifetime warranty provided by the company GreatNeck limited.
- Price is good.
- GreatNeck gives you lifetime warranty in this bolt cutter.
- It cuts really good with its sharp blade. You can cut the master lock with it.
- It has comfortable grips on the handle so that it is useful for your hands.
- The blade is made up of forged S2 steel that increases its cutting power.
- Its length creates a great problem to use.
- Difficult to cut small padlocks with it.
8. Capri tools 40209 Klinge Mini Bolt Cutter
It is an 8-inch cutter available in blue/ black sheds. It is an excellent bolt portable cutter with double heat treated chromo molybdenum blades. Its special feature is it can give you high efficiency with less force in its handle. Grips are comfortable and ergonomic. It is useful for cutting wires, chains etc.
- Great for the price.
- It has good cutting power and gives high efficiency with less force in the handle.
- Light in weight and size. And easy to carry due to its size.
- 10 years warranty.
- Handle grips are comfortable and ergonomic.
- Blades are made up of heat treated Cr-Mo that can cut materials with ease.
- Are not suitable for super hardened bolts.
- Doesn’t have the strength for cutting nails and screw with its blades.
- Average quality and not long lasting.
What Is Bolt Cutter in Brief?
Something that is shackled or enchained is said bolt and cutter as we all know, means that can cut things. So, bolt cutter according to its name can cut chains, padlocks, bolts and wire mesh. It is made up of long handles and short blades with several joints. First read about the essential parts and then we will describe the additional ones.
Handles and Blades
Handles and blades are joined by screws and blades are controlled by the handles. Handles can be both types, long and short. shortest one is lighter in weight than the longest. The purpose of use is different for both. Long handles are used where it is difficult to reach and need a large amount of force whether the short ones are used for light materials within range. Blades are the actual cutting surface. According to its size and shape, it is divided into the center cut, end cut and many more.
Jaws and Joints
The part between the blade and handle is jaws. The points where the blades and the handles are connected with jaws by the screw is joints.
This prevents the handle and the blade from overlapping at the end of a cut.
The bolts are used for the adjustment of the blades.
This part is used for extra comfort at the end of the handle.
Understanding the Bolt Cutter Sizes
Bolt cutters are available in different sizes and shapes. According to its length, we divide it into several parts that are described below,
- 12 inch / 30.5 cm bolt cutter
- 14 inch / 35.6 cm bolt cutter
- 18 inch / 46 cm bolt cutter
- 24 inch / 61 cm bolt cutter
- 30 inch / 76 cm bolt cutter
- 36 inch / 91.4 cm bolt cutter
- 42 inch/ 107 cm bolt cutter
They are 8 inches in length or may be less than this.
What Size of Bolt Cutter Do I Need?
There is the variation of cutting capabilities depends on the sizes. All the bolt cutters are not suitable for every type of work. We have discussed here which type of bolt cutter you can use for your particular purpose.
- Compact 12 inches and 14 inches are suitable for cutting threaded rod and wires maximum in diameter of 6mm. These can also cut bolts and some chains maximum diameter 3.6 mm.
- 18 inches and 24 inches can be used in the same type of cutting as the compact one but having longer arms, they can handle greater diameter. It can cut soft and medium hard materials up to 11 mm and hard materials of about 9.5 mm.
- We can use 30 inches and 48 inches for cutting the master lock, padlocks, steel chains and has the tolerance of diameter more than this two above.
Best Bolt Cutters Buying the Guide
Keep in mind the things discussed below to find the best bolt cutters for your use.
- The weight of the handles is an important thing to consider while buying. Handles with heavyweight may create a problem for you. If a bolt cutter with small and medium handle can tackle the material you want to cut then avoid the larger handles. But if the cutting portion is out of your reach then you must use a bolt cutter with longer handles. You can choose the handle made up with Aluminium and light fiber glasses. So that it will be lighter in weight and easy for you to use.
- Consider the diameter and strength of the material you want to cut and then choose the appropriate size of bolt cutters.
- Blades: Different types of blades are available at the market to ease your work. Center cut, angle cut, end cut, shear cut. Choose the blade according to your use.
- Jaws: The strength of the bolt cutter depends on its jaws. Jaws must be hardened enough to tolerate the weight.
- Make sure that the handle grips are made up with comfortable material.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There are many questions asked related to bolt cutters. Here we have to answer some questions.
Q. Can bolt cutter cut U lock?
Ans: Biggest bolt cutters usually 36 and 42 inches can cut middle range U locks and chains.
Remember that not everyone can cut high-security locks with these 36 and 42 inches bolt cutters.
Q. Can bolt cutter cut master lock?
Ans: A 42 inches bolt cutter is suitable to cut large master locks. The lock has a shackle that is 7/16 inch thick made of boron alloy which is 50% harder than hardened steel.
Q. Will bolt cutter cut rebar?
Ans: Well, it’s a Yes. It is effective at snapping rebar also. Circular saw is used to cut rebar by most of the people.
Q. How do you adjust a bolt cutter?
Ans: There are jaw adjustment bolts and neck adjustment bolts to adjust a bolt cutter. First clamp your bolts securely to make the jaw adjustment bolts accessible and then turn your bolts clockwise with an openly headed spanner to move the blades closer together.
Q. Can bolt cutters cut through steels?
Ans: Unfortunately, most of the padlocks are made up of hardened steel which is strong enough for the bolt cutter to cut. This can damage your bolt cutter but you can hinder process on the fire ground.
Q. Can bolt cutters cut a chain?
Ans: The short answer is yes. But it is difficult. Only industrial bolt cutters having larger jaws can easily cut a chain.
Every bolt cutter has its pros and cons. Not every cutter is suitable for every type of work. Several types and qualities of bolt cutters have made it suitable for the different purpose of human being. If you can choose the best bolt cutters for your use you will be beneficial. It has made easier to cut hardened materials within a second.