Barber scissors are quite different from normal scissors. They are usually smaller and comes with a finger rest. The best barber scissors will vary person to person according to their preferences. They come in lots of different sizes and styles. But it’s always better to start with a standard one and then explore into the verities. Here we will provide a complete guide into the world of barber scissors, how to pick them, how to use and how to maintain them to help you get hold of barber scissoring.
How to Choose Best Barber Scissors – A Buying Guide
This scissors must have some qualities. You will be needing different scissors depending on whether you are a beginner or a professional. Now we will be discussing a few things before you can go ahead and pick a barber shear.
The length of the barber scissors matters very much in regard to cutting hair. These scissors are usually 4 to 6inches long. You can choose the length based on the size of your hand. The tip of the scissors should be at the end of your middle finger while the end of the handle of your scissors, excluding the finger rest, touches the starting of your thumb. The longer the shears the more hair you can cut in one stroke. But the length should not be too long that you can not control your haircut.
Believe it or not, the barber shears come in at least four different handles. This handle usually has a finger rest and depending on your hand and elbow positioning you can choose different handle design.
The traditional straight handles the most common design. Both of the handle hoops are at the same position. You have to keep your elbows up with these scissors. This is very old design and will strain your fingers if used for a long time. There is the offset handle design, which has the handle hoops at an angle with each other making one handle shorter than the other. This is more ergonomic than the straight handled ones. Your elbows can be positioned lower with this scissors. So, it will cause less fatigue for your fingers. The crane design is just a modified version of the offset design. In addition, it has both of the handles bent at an angle. It has the same advantages of the offset design. It helps with the comfortable positioning of hands causing less risk of carpal tunnel and other straining problems. There is also the swivel design. It helps your thumb to have a natural position. You can change the position as you go and have much more control over the shears. But this design takes much longer to get used to owing to the complex design. So, if you are a beginner it is not recommended.
- The blade
Now there are serrated blades and smooth blades. The serrated blades give you more control as they grip the hair firmly between the teeth. But the smooth ones don’t hold the hairs as them. So if you are a beginner go for the serrated ones. They will provide you with better control and once you have mastered the art you can always shift to the smooth ones.
- The edge
There are two types of an edge when it comes to barber scissors. The beveled edge and the convex edge. Most of the barber scissors are seen to have the beveled edge but the convex edge is also gaining popularity day by day. You can know the difference by watching closely. The beveled edge scissors suddenly make an angle at the tip and go down. The convex doesn’t make any angle and meets a point. The beveled edge scissors are known as Germanic scissors and cheaper than the convex ones. They are easy to use and gives a flat surface for cutting. On the other hand, the convex scissors are known as Japanese scissors and they are a bit expensive. But their fine tip gives a much smoother finish.
- Right handed or left handed
There are different scissors for different handed people. If you are left-handed and use the right-handed ones, you will strain your hands pretty badly. Although most of the scissors are right handed, make sure you are buying the left-handed ones with the seller.
Sharpness is the key to a perfect haircut. If you use dull scissors chances are the hair will get between the teeth and you will end up with a messy haircut.
- Thinning scissors
Thinning scissors are special kind of scissors. They help you get a nice and clean finish for your haircut. There are especially useful for thick hair. You can thin out bulky hair, texturize them, blend your haircut and give finishing to your haircut using these scissors.
It is the most important thing. After learning about every part of your scissors, whatever your choice is, make sure comfort is your topmost priority. Cutting hair is a tedious job. Repeated action can cause fatigue for your hands. So, before buying any scissors let your hands decide which one you want to buy.
Specialty of Barber Scissors
Barber scissors are not your typical shears. They usually come in a verity of sizes and shapes. They serve the purpose of various hair cutting needs. These scissors usually have finger rest called ‘tang’ attached to one of the handles for your pinky to rest on it. This handle is also bent to put your index and middle finger on it and ring finger through the hoop. These shears are usually made small enough to fit it hand totally. They are ergonomically designed to cause less fatigue for your hands.
Top 6 Best Barber Scissors
1. Equinox Professional Shears Razor Edge Series – Barber Hair Cutting Scissors
These scissors are professional grade scissors with two styles. Cutting A and cutting B. They are basically the same scissors, but cutting B has padded finger holes and cutting A does not.
These scissors have a length of 6.5 inches. So, they are quite long. They weigh 4.8 ounces making them
They come in plastic wrappings and coated with oil. This oil is for protecting the scissors from staining and getting dull. You will have to wash it with soap and dry it with a sponge or cloth and you will be good to go
These scissors are made of Japanese stainless steel and have hand sharpened cutting edge making it extremely sharp and suitable for smooth cutting.
These scissors come with adjustment screws so you can change the settings at your convenience. To do that hold your scissors wide open all the way and close them and adjust the screw in a way that the scissors don’t feel stiff while opening and closing.
The scissors are versatile and can be used for all individuals. Its smooth stainless steel texture helps with a clean cut by preventing chewing up of hair.
Possible to use as-
- These shears can be used for cutting hair professionally or occasionally.
- You can trim your hair between haircuts with these scissors. They don’t cause split ends.
- They also have thinning scissors. You can use them to reduce the bulk of your hair. You can use them for blending your hair with the haircut.
- You can also use these for trimming beards.
- Very sharp
- Easy to use
- Reasonably priced
- Good for beginners
- Suitable for all types of hair
- Can seem a little small. But you should remember your thumb should not go all the way through the whole. So, don’t worry if the thumb doesn’t fit. If your ring finger doesn’t fit, do not buy this one.
- If it comes to protective oil and seems wet to you it is not a problem. Just do as instructed before.
- The handles can be a little slippery
- They can get dull very easily
- The blades can be a little thick
2. Professional Barber/Salon Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissors
These professional barber scissors are made from high. quality Japanese stainless steel with hand-sharpened cutting edge technology. This makes them easier to use effortlessly and provides smooth cutting.
The scissors come with removable finger inserts to fit in your fingers perfectly. If the finger hole is too big for you can just add the finger insert to shorten the gap. Or you could remove them if you have big hands.
They are 6.5 inches long and weighs about 2.88 ounces making them very lightweight.
Japanese stainless steel keep then rust free and sharp edge stays longer than other scissors.
They come in a zippered leather case, which provides safety and preservation of the scissors
These scissors too have detachable tension screw. So, you can adjust the stiffness of your scissors at your will.
These scissors are ambidextrous. They are suitable for both left-handed and right-handed use. Although left-hander might feel some discomfort.
Possible to use as
- There are two types of scissors. One is hair cutting scissors and the other is thinning scissors. You can use the hair cutting scissors many individuals for cutting hair.
- You can trim mustache and beard with this scissors.
- The thinning scissors can be used in thinning and giving texture to the hair. This will help you take out the bulk from your bushy hair. You can thin out your mustache with this too.
- You can trim the split ends of your hair giving them a nice look with this scissors.
- Reasonably priced
- Thinners are excellent for thick hair
- Works good on animals too.
- Not professional grade scissors
- Might cause a little problem for large handed people
- The finger inserts move around and comes out often and causes problem for hair cutting.
3. Hair Cutting Scissors Precision 3-piece Barber Shears Set
This set comes with three pair of shears. 5.5″ barber shears, 6.5″ barber shears and 6.5″ salon thinning scissors. The barber shears are for cutting and trimming your hair and the salon pair is for thinning your hair. Now, it is said that 5.5″ shears are perfect for hair cutting and trimming because they provide more control and less area for mistakes. But 6.5″ is also good for cutting hair, you can cut more hair at once.
This set provides a plastic wrap for each scissors. This means a protection for the shears from dirt and moisture.
They are all made of stainless steel and do know that stainless steel does not mean stain proof. But it gives you sharp edge and durability by preventing rust.
This set comes at a great price and great for use at your home. They come with the usual finger rest for your pinky to keep on. And two different sizes helps you choose the right one for the job.
Possible to use as
- These shears are a perfect home kit for hair styling. You can have an occasional trim in between your salon visits with this scissors.
- Keep in mind that these are not professional grade scissors but they are very suitable for hair cutting at home.
- Even with the thinning scissors, you will be able to give your haircut a nice finish right at home! it’s an all in one set perfect for your hair styling needs.
- Very cheap; that is three shears at the price of one.
- Great for beginners and armatures
- Sharp and smooth
- The scissors don’t have the professional finished look on them
- There might be some problems with the thinning scissors
- Can be a little stiff, oiling should help
- Can be a little dull, occasional sharpening might help in this case
- Not ambidextrous
4. Barber’s Choice Professional Hair Cutting Barber Scissors/Shears
These shears are one of the best barber shears available. They come with a comb and a packaging. The scissors are secured inside the leather package with an elastic band. It also has a felt cover for the safety issues.
The shears are made with Japanese 420stainless steel making them very sharp and durable. It’s razor sharp blades will give even cut and a perfect fade.
The scissors have ergonomically designed handles with rubber finger inserts. These are removable, so the scissors fit in any finger sizes.
The scissors have adjustable screws for determining the perfect tension for your hand. You can loosen the screw or tighten it to get the desirable grip.
These are 6.5″ scissors with the weight of 4.88 ounces. which is a little heavy.
Possible to use as
- These scissors are perfect for cutting hair professionally and at home. Comes with a comb, giving you the whole package. These scissors cut smoothly and with great precision.
- These are super sharp scissors. So, they can be easily used for trimming the split ends.
- Can be used as a gift who has a knack for hair styling.
- These can be used for trimming beards and mustache. They cut cleanly though coarse facial hair too.
- These are extremely sharp scissors
- Professional quality scissors
- Comes with padded bag and a comb
- Very easy to use
- Very reasonable price
- The comb is not that sturdy
- The finger insert can be a little flimsy
- Can be a little uncomfortable for big hands
5. Professional Barber/Salon Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissors | Ice Tempered Stainless Steel Reinforced with Chromium to Resist Tarnish and Rust
These scissors are made of handcrafted stainless steel. This gives them razor sharp blades for smooth cutting of hair.
They are 6.5″ scissors weighing about 1.66 ounces. Which makes them very lightweight.
“No slip” grips will give you control over your scissors. It will also give you comfort while holding your shears.
These scissors are ice tempered. Most of the scissors are made of stainless steel for making them rust free but in doing so the scissors become dull very quickly. Ice tempering makes the blades harder than normal stainless steel.
Possible to Use as
- These shears can be used for cutting and trimming hair. They are standard designed and useful for basic hair cutting.
- As usual, they can also be used for trimming beards and mustaches.
- Good for home uses
- Sharp enough for occasional uses
- Good for kid haircuts
- Small enough to carry in purses
- Good on animals
- Not professional quality
- lack of caution can lead to rusting of the scissors
- Finger holes can be a little uncomfortable
- Not salon quality sharp
6. Chimocee Professional Hair Scissors, 6.5″ Barber and Salon Razor Edge Hair Cutting Shears
Chimocee is a well-known brand of beauty equipment. Naturally, these scissors are best in the market. They are made of high-quality Japanese steel. Which gives you fast and smooth cutting.
These scissors come with a nice gift box. So you can easily give them to someone as a present.
They have ergonomically designed handle for less fatigue and straining for your hands. Also, the adjustable tension screw helps you fix the right tension for your scissors.
They are 6.5″long and weighs about 5.6 ounces.
They also come with detachable and cushioned finger rest gives you much control and comfort for your fingers.
Possible to use as
- These scissors can be used for professional style hair cutting
- They can also be used for grooming dogs, cats etc.
- They can be used for trimming hair, they don’t cause any split ends.
- Easy to hold
- Comfortable grip
- Professional quality scissors
- Can seem a little heavy for some individuals
- The tension screw can be little flimsy sometimes
- The finger holes can be little uncomfortable for big hands
How to Use Barber Scissors
Barber scissors are not to be used for the everyday purpose. They are used in a different way and you hold them differently. There is an extension beside one of the finger holes on your scissors. You should put your pinky on it. Your middle finger should go all the way through the hole to give you control. The index and middle finger should be put on the bent handle. Your thumb should be in the other hoop. But it should not go all the way through. You won’t be able to move your thumb that way and this will cause discomfort. Now, you will be cutting with only one blade. The other blade should not move. So, make sure you are holding your scissors tight with your ring finger and the other fingers before you even put your thumbs in. You should be able to cut parallel with your hand by moving your thumbs in and out any time you want.
Safety Tips to Enhance Lifespan
Even the best barber scissors need some care for a longer lifespan. Here are a few simple things you should keep in mind for long-lasting shears:
- Keep your shears clean: Clean your shears every day. Try to make a habit of cleaning your scissors after every haircut. The dirt and grease from hair tend to make the scissors prone to corrosion and rusting. If not possible after every haircut, at least at the end of the day wash and dry your scissors. Wipe your scissors after each haircut to prevent the scissors from getting dirty.
- Keep the scissors dry: Wet scissors will get rusty more quickly. Stainless steel usually makes the scissors more durable when it comes to rust. But the unconscious use of scissors can certainly lead to a dull and rusty pair of scissors. Don’t let any water dry on the surface the scissors. When you wash the scissors make sure to dry them off immediately.
- Keep your scissors oiled: Oiling your scissors can make them more long-lasting. Oil the adjustment screws regularly. Put a drop of oil on one of the flat surfaces of your wide opened scissors and then close the handles to spread the oil evenly on the surface. Don’t use clipping oil as they tend to attract dirt more easily.
- Don’t put pressure on your scissors: When you are cutting hair and the scissors are stuck don’t force the scissors to cut. It actually means you are trying to cut too much hair at once. This will lead to damage of your scissors and make them dull.
- sharpen your scissors professionally: Sharpening is a basic need for the scissors. Generally, best one don’t need sharpening more than once a year. Some people sharp their scissors once or twice in between. But professionals can ruin your scissors while sharpening. Make sure you know who you are letting to sharpen your scissors. Do it from recommended sources.
- Don’t drop your scissors: Dropping of throwing your scissors will damage your scissors. They will become dull and can become beyond repair. If there is a snip in your blade don’t cut with them and get them fixed from professionals. Using damaged scissors will cause more corrosion to your scissors.
- Store them in a clean and dry place: After using your scissors every day store them in a well-ventilated space. Damp and dirty places can cause rust to grow on the scissors and will damage them severely. Make sure the place is clean and completely dry.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Q: Is it harmful to use unsterilized equipment like scissors at a barber’s shop?
A: Yes. Unsterilized equipment can cause blood-borne diseases. The exchange of bodily fluids or blood can cause these. It is better to sterilize each equipment after every haircut.
Q: Is it possible to get HIV from a barber scissor while a barber giving haircut?
A: Yes it is possible. If unsterilized and infected equipment from an HIV patient is used, it is possible.
Q: What are the chances of getting hepatitis through barber scissors?
A: If there are any nicks caused by a pair of infected scissors, it is likely that you will get hepatitis. Make sure they use a new pair of scissors after cutting an infected person.
Q: Are hand forged scissors better than others?
A: No they are not any different, but they are cheaper.
Q: How many times can barber scissors be sharpened?
A: 5-6 times. It mainly depends on the quality. A good pair of scissors can be sharpened at least 10 times. But poor quality scissors and unprofessional sharpening can cause them to prone to damage and shorten their lifespan. Then they can only be sharpened 3 to 4 times or even less.
There are a few tips and tricks to handle your barber shears. If you are a beginner you can start your journey by buying the best barber scissors and then move on to other stuff. Compare the products and prioritize your needs. If you have the best shears to start with, the rest will come easy. Whatever you buy, make sure your comfort comes first. Cutting hair can be a tedious job and leads to straining of the different body part. So, make sure to buy the most ergonomic scissors.